Monday, December 2, 2013

Catching Fire

One of my ideas was stolen. I'm a little upset about it and it is more than likely possible that it wasn't "stolen" - that someone had the same idea that I had and ran with it first... thing is, it's a great idea.

When I was getting my bachelors degree at the Fashion Institute of Technology - back in the mid 80s when Madonna was at her peak and we used to go to clubs like Danceteria, Area and Limelight on a regular basis, one of my senior projects was to pick a Brand and come up with your own brand that competes directly with it. We would have to create a business plan, marketing plan, brand identity and merchandising.

I picked Victorias Secret. 

Fast forward 30 years (yikes!) later and this dream of creating a brand that competes with VS is still there. Think about it for a second. How many stores compete with VS directly? Why is that? It's as if they cornered the market on lingerie. I think the brand does a lot of things right but it feels dated and a mess. 

I know that the brand I created would be better. It would probably cost more too, but it would be fresh and new - and the lingerie would be special and be made with the best materials.

I am so on fire with ideas right now I am going to burst. Let's see what happens... you just have to keep taking one step forward at a time, don't you? 

I want these shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment